The Brett House, I want to live here!

Monday 29 August 2011

I was fortunate enough to have a second visit to Fogo Island, just off the coast of Newfoundland, Canada.   I'm so inspired when I'm there, it's so remote and far away from the hustle and bustle of my normal urban surroundings in East London! These are some snaps of the Brett house, which is now a museum, freezing everything in time- it's so beautiful I'd like to live there now.

The kitchen, with the red babies chair and matching sink!



 The floors are a patchwork of mad contrasting patterned linoleum ,  I love it!


 bathroom with the chamber pot in the corner.
 bedroom with a hatch down to the kitchen to let the heat from the stove down below rise up.
 more fantastic linoleum!

 and a washing line of dishcloths waving goodbye.
here's a link to a tiny bit of history about the house.
http://www.fogoisland.net/brett_house.htm

6 comments:

  1. I love this building, but the heating hatch to the bedroom is the practical solution of a genius! Why haven't I got one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a cute, original and cosy house - love all the different floor patterns! makes me think of 'villa villekulla' (pippi longstocking's house) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks absolutely wonderful and magical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful and strange. Poetic, sure ! I check the link

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these old houses because I've seen so many of its features in old farmhouses in other parts of Canada. The linoleum patches are a practical solution to limited access of materials and the open hatch to the bedroom reminds me of the stove pipe that ran up into the second floor bedroom that my husband had as a child on a farm--practical solutions. i.e. "Necessity is the mother of invention."

    ReplyDelete